INGREDIENTS– Cupcake Batter
· 2 cups all-purpose flour
· 1 tsp of baking soda
· 1 tsp of baking powder
· 1/2 tsp of salt
· 4 Tablespoons unsweetened, cocoa powder
· 2 cups sugar
· 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
· 2 eggs
· 1 cup sour cream
· 2 tsp of vanilla extract
· 3 tbsp red food coloring
· 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
DIRECTIONS FOR CUPCAKES
1. Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease 12 muffin tins and line with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt together. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the sugar and vegetable oil.
4. Mix in the eggs, sour cream, vanilla and red food coloring until combined.
5. Stir in the coffee and white vinegar.
6. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients a little at time, mixing after each addition, just until combined.
7. Pour the batter evenly into each tin.
8. Bake 18-20 minutes. Check by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake and it is done when the toothpick comes out clean. Do not over bake.
9. Let the cupcakes cool for 10 minutes.
10. Frost the cake with cream cheese frosting when the cakes have cooled completely.
Red Velvet Cupcakes are featured on page 133 of Naked and Unashamed.
INGREDIENTS - Buttercream Frosting:
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
5 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 oz. butter, softened
2 tbsp whole milk
1 tsp vanilla abstract
DIRECTIONS FOR THE FROSTING
With an electric mixer, whip butter and cream cheese until smooth and fluffy. With the mixer on low, add confectioners' sugar and fluff for another few minutes. Add vanilla, and milk and gradually increase the speed. You may add more milk to obtain the consistency you desire but add a bit at a time so that you don’t make it too soupy.